Readers! Got this cool letter today from a guy named Mike:
Hello Free-Rangers: Remember that Circuit City commercial in the ’90’s where the young boy buys a Walkman, and goes to Circuit City to get his price match? Here it is:[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epP3jETf8Og]
There are a number of points that this commercial highlights for me that show how far we have fallen.
1. The father tells the son: “You bought it, you take care of it.”
2. The boy walks to Circuit City completely on his own, taking what seems to be the long way while he gathers the courage to ask for his price match.
3. The boy is talks to the man behind the counter and gets his price match
1. The parent likely wouldn’t let their child take care of the return, nor allow them to purchase it on their own in the first place.
2. They would drive to the Circuit City.
3. The boy would never be allowed to speak to a strange MAN (because all men are potential molesters of course)
And so it goes — Mike
Lenore here: I actually think the parents might allow the kid to talk to a clerk, no matter what gender. But I agree: It would be a family affair, and they’d get there by car.